Following the success of previous years, this session will be exploring reasons for the existence of under-representation of different groups (cultural, national and gender) by welcoming a debate with scientists, decision-makers and policy analysts related to geosciences.
The session will be focusing on both remaining obstacles that contribute to under-representation and on best practices and innovative ideas to tackle obstacles. Contributions are solicited to address:
- Role models to inspire and further motivate others (life experience and/or their contribution to promote equality, etc.)
- Concrete examples of imbalance representation preferably supported by data (namely awards, grants, high-level positions, invited talks, etc.)
- Perceived barriers to various sorts of inclusion (personally, institutional, cultural, etc.);
- Best practices and successful strategies to overcome the barriers, including:
• mentoring programmes,
• networks that work,
• specific funding schemes,
• examples of host institutions initiatives
- Recommendations to new and innovative strategies to further overcome barriers
This session is co-organised with the European Association of Geochemistry and the European Research Council.