Union-wide
Side Events
Disciplinary sessions
Inter- and Transdisciplinary Sessions

Session programme

TSM

TSM – Townhall and splinter meetings

TM – Townhall meetings

TM1

With more than 16,000 attendees, EGU’s General Assembly has a substantial environmental impact. This impact is related to, among others, travel, accommodation, catering, the conference centre, signage and information media. To minimize the environmental footprint of the General Assembly, EGU has already implemented extensive greening measures and continues to explore new ones.

In this townhall meeting, we aim to (1) provide information on what we have achieved so far towards a greener General Assembly, and (2) open the discussion on the opportunities and challenges related to travel and videoconferencing.

More information:
https://egu2020.eu/about_and_support/green_egu.html and https://www.egu.eu/news/550/egu-to-offset-the-travel-emissions-of-every-general-assembly-participant/

The conveners are the outgoing and incoming EGU Programme Committee chairs.

Share:
Convener: Susanne Buiter | Co-convener: Peter van der Beek
TM2

Availability of research data, together with the availability of methods/software and open access to the resulting publications, has become an increasingly accepted set of pillars for reproducible science. While more and more journals have moved to openness regarding access of articles, the shift to demanding (or at least strongly encouraging) availability of the underlying data and even software has emerged just recently. For example, since August 2019 the AGU journals enforce the FAIR principles, which can impose a lot of head scratching during and after submission. Likewise, when asking data repository staff, what data of a Structure-from-Motion study actually should be provided (pictures, calculated point clouds, point cloud derivatives, derivatives of derivatives?), one can get a rich variety of replies. Obviously, as with all freshly laid out directions, trails need time and people to become highways.

Thus, it is now time to ask scientists for their suggestions about how to form this trail into a highway. Which key information should be provided by journals and data repository platforms to simplify the submission process? What are adequate time lines and work flows for authors? Which type and aggregation stage of data should (or should not) be part of a repository? How can access restriction requirements for different groups be implemented? How can different data repository contents be organised to make real value of the rapidly expanding data source?

This Townhall Meeting invites researchers from all geoscience disciplines to share experience with the process of providing data along with manuscripts. Our aim is to develop mechanisms to lower learning curves, and to facilitate workflows, for authors, data curators and journal editors and reviewers. We want to fuse a group of active people that collect feedback and ideas, which will be used to create and share one page how-to’s on fruitful ways to create data repositories, utilise pre-print servers, and submit articles in agreement with open science policies.

We plan to provide mechanisms that safeguard a high degree of auditorium interaction and intend to assemble a panel of publishers, editors, data curators, and scientists.

Share:
Convener: Michael DietzeECSECS | Co-convener: Stuart Lane
TM3

European Space Agency (ESA) is defining Voyage 2050, which will be used as the science guideline in selecting future missions during 2035-2050. This replaces Cosmic Vision. To proceed this bottom-up process, ESA called for White Papers to gather ideas of future science theme and mission examples that can answer these themes. From over the world, 95 white papers were submitted about 40% related to the solar system missions. Such a large number indicates we have many science questions to be answered. This forum shares and discuss these ideas together with general public.

Public information:
From Europe, about 35 different science themes were submitted to ESA as Voyage-2050 White Papers. Thus many science questions are to be answered just for solar system science using spacecraft. This forum shares and discuss these ideas together.

Share:
Convener: Masatoshi Yamauchi | Co-convener: Michel Blanc
TM4

The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and the European Space Agency (ESA) signed in September 2010 a Formal Earth Science and Observation Framework for Cooperation. This included the setup of a joint NASA-ESA Earth Science Joint Program Planning Group (JPPG) to enhance cooperation in the area of Earth science observation and global climate change. In order to foster the cooperation, three sub-groups were established covering the domains of a) Mission and Technology, b) Cal/Val and Field Campaigns and c) Ground Segment and Data. The JPPG reports to ESA/NASA top executive management on an annual basis.

The key objectives of this collaboration include the identification, evaluation and initiation, as appropriate, of a broad suite of collaboration opportunities, ranging from the coordination for possible cooperation in future missions; the shared interests in technology and instrument development; and the identification of a major new mission that could only be addressed with substantial collaboration. An important aspect is the coordination of measurements from satellites and airborne platforms for calibration and validation to ensure enhanced science and mission return. Substantial efforts have been made in data exchange, defining technical interfaces for information sharing and improved interoperability, as well as, potential joint project on Science/Mission exploitation platforms. Finally, the cross-representation of key American and European experts in NASA Science Teams/Science Definition Teams and ESA Mission Advisory Groups is ensured and coordinated.

The NASA-ESA framework of cooperation in Earth observation will be presented, as well as, some of the major achievements obtained up until now in order to illustrate the benefits of such a coordinated approach for monitoring the Earth and its environment.

Organizer(s): Sandra Cauffman, Maurice Borgeaud, Pierluigi Silvestrin, Steven Neeck, Jack Kaye, Malcolm Davidson, Nickolaus Hanowski, Kevin Murphy, Simonetta Cheli, Kimberly Hurst

Public information:
Introduction by NASA and ESA Co-Chairs, 10 min.


Summary Presentations by Panel Co-Chairs, 30 min.


Discussion, 20 min.

Share:
Convener: Jack Kaye | Co-convener: Malcolm Davidson
TM5

We invite the European Heliophysics Community to provide feedback to a new initiative: The European Heliophysics Week (EHW). This forum is being created to help improve the communication and coordination of the European heliophysics research. At the moment in Europe we have no opportunities to meet and discuss the heliophysics research, operations, strategies, funding, opportunities, future etc. The EHW will cover all heliophysics, from the Sun down to the ionosphere/upper atmosphere, from ground-based to space-borne data, from data to modeling/theory, from senior scientists to students, etc.

Share:
Convener: Harri Laakso
TM6

This Town Hall Meeting aims to give a future outlook of what new directions in scientific research could be possible if online data sets, tools, and research infrastructures really are fully integrated on a global scale across scientific discipline, sectoral and national boundaries.

We look up to the sky: what spectacular scientific results can we foresee? What would be needed to achieve that. But also down to earth: what are current barriers or challenges? how can we overcome those? What does this require from all of us and our current way of thinking about integrating data and science? How can we boldly go where no scientist has gone before?

This Town Hall Meeting presents and dicsusses various approaches to successful integration on the level of datasets and/or research infrastructures in support of scientific research within single disciplines, but also across disciplines and national/continental boundaries.

The Town Hall has the objective to go one step further on the path to full integration of all these initiatives. Not just across the Earth and environmental sciences but also include the social sciences and humanities to help make transdisciplinary science a reality. Although this may seem a small step in this day and age of great online, technological possibilities, early attempts hint that it will still be a giant leap to fully achieve this integration.

Public information:
Addressing the challenges of sharing open data across the globe: why should(n’t) I share?

We have abitiously confirmed our objective to achieve open data and open science across the universe during a TM in EGU 2019, but now our starship has taken off and we’re facing the everyday little and bigger problems/issues/challenges to keep our starship flying and on course. Daily issues we have to deal with are:
Data related: Access policies, being able to credit for the use of data, new technologies that require implementation, the need to go beyond own solutions (local hard disks, excel files come to mind), licensing and proper provenance that enables the reuse of data, including all versions and changes it underwent in the process.
Science related: open access, but who’s paying for that? What is a business model that works smoothly for scientists (in a way that closed access worked smoothly for scientists in the past)
Culture related: Scientists owning data acquired with hard work in remote and harsh circumstances etc.

Starships are constantly under threat of being attacked by Klingons, Imperial Forces or -worse- The Borg. Who or what is our enemy in our expedition to global open data and open science. Is the enemy out there, or is it (also) coming from within. Can we turn the enemy into a friend?

Speakers will present short statements on the problems, the efforts, the barriers, the hard work that is required to overcome these barriers, to achieve real open data sharing and data integration. The audience is requested to share their little and bigger issues, ask for solutions, provide solutions, contribute to data fairness wishlists etc.

Nice prizes are awarded for the best questions, comments and contributions!

Share:
Convener: Jacco Konijn | Co-conveners: Ari Asmi, Lesley Wyborn
TM7

In the first half of the next decade EUMETSAT and ESA will launch the next generation of meteorological satellites. These provide a continuity of service for the current Meteosat and European Polar System satellites, and extensive opportunities for innovation in meteorological and environmental research.

From geostationary orbit Europe will have for the first time, in addition to higher spectral, spatial and time sample images, an infrared sounder, a lightning imager and the Copernicus Sentinel-4 sounder in the ultraviolet, visible and near infrared spectrum. From polar orbit we will have global coverage from the novel ice cloud imager (ICI), microwave imager, multi-viewing multi-channel multiple-polarisation imaging (3MI) instruments as well as the instruments building on the EPS heritage.

The data from each of these instruments offers potential for use in atmospheric process studies (e.g., aerosols, clouds, precipitation-related), weather and climate modelling, and environmental systems research; in addition, the co-location of instruments on the same platform also offers research and development potential.

In order to work with data as soon as operationally available, approaches will need to be made now to national and European science agencies to establish priorities and support frameworks.

This town hall will present the new programme capabilities and answer questions to support interest by the science community.

Share:
Convener: Stephan Bojinski
TM8

Many publishers and journals have started to implement new policies that require data supporting publications to be deposited in public repositories, but procedures and requirements for depositing data and citing data in publications are not yet consistently defined and communicated. We invite researchers to voice their questions and concerns, publishers to clarify expectations, and data repositories to explain procedures and requirements that authors need to be aware of.

Share:
Convener: Kerstin Lehnert
TM9

Recent studies reveal that the outward flowing waters of the Danube River, the only well-preserved stream in the Pannonian and Black Sea basins, continue to keep its chemical characteristics along the shorelines of Romania and Bulgaria until to the Bosphorus entrance. Moreover, this outflow controls the counterclockwise western Black Sea gyre. An artificial sea-level waterway, to the west of the Bosphorus, is being built by Turkey, under the name of Canal Istanbul, which will connect the Black Sea to the Sea of Marmara. Turkish scientist are still discussing the various potential effects of the Canal Istanbul, on water quality, pollution, sediment transport, siltation, anoxia, marine life, flooding, earthquake, tsunami and climate change. Most of the studies on the environmental impact assessment are mainly based on the analysis of the geographical, physical, ecological and social characteristics of the wide area where the project will be developed. Until now, it seems that this debate has not reached far outside of Turkey, even when effects could possibly involve environmental systems in several countries.

In this townhall meeting, we aim to provide information on other critical issues; such as the consequences of an indispensable and serious mean sea level drop in the Black Sea, which is about 40 cm higher than that of the Sea of Marmara in normal conditions, as well as possible changes in hydrological regime of the Black Sea rivers, their delta developments and current system in the western Black Sea. We will discuss Black Sea conservation, under the expected and unexpected side effects of the Canal Istanbul, and draw attention of the scientists who deal with the existing protection programs of the Danube River and the Black Sea against pollution. The outcomes will help the environmental groups build a holistic approach for their arguments.

Public information:
The Canal Istanbul, a planned 45-km artificial water passage to be built west of Istanbul, aims to boost the marine traffic capacity between the Black Sea and the Marmara Sea. The canal will be 21 m deep, and 360-to-1000 m wide at surface. According the environmental impact assessment report for the canal, which has not adequately assessed the risks, the cost of the mega project is calculated to be $15 billion. The public does not have sufficient knowledge of the project and its irreversible environment effects. The most recent and heated debates are over political issues, instead of over the scientific facts, as there are many technical reasons why the project should not be implemented.

Share:
Convener: Bedri Alpar | Co-conveners: Dursun Acar, Nazmi Postacioglu
TM10

Datacubes are an accepted cornerstone for analysis-ready data - homogenization of zillions of scenes into a few space-time cubes with unified spatial and temporal access leads to both simpler and more scalable services. The OGC/ISO coverage data and service standards offer a modular, widely implemented, and Petabyte-proven baseline, ranging from simple access and encoding in the Web Coverage Service (WCS) Core to high-end analytics through the WCPS datacube analytics language. Recently, activities are under way to add to WCS an OpenAPI based service protocol, OAPI-Coverages, in an open process. A Fall 2019 hackathon in the UK and a 2020 ESIP/OGC sprint in the US served to stress test drafts and expose and discuss in broader expert communities. In parallel, is ISO advancing the abstract coverage framework.

In this Townhall we continue the policy of “release early, discuss often” by sharing status and directions of the coverage ecosystem. First, coverages are introduced so that no previous experience is required for participation. Next, the status of standardization in OGC, ISO, and INSPIRE are presented, and current trends and activities in coverage standardization get explained. Multiple live demonstration using operational services provide insight for users and implementers, novices and experts alike. Internet-connected participants can recapitulate and modify the live demonstrations. Ample time will be reserved for discussion to capture experiences, requirements, and opinions - altogether centering around the question: What should future coverage and datacube services look like?

Share:
Convener: Peter Baumann
TM11

This Town-Hall meeting aims at presenting to and engaging with the scientific community the status and plans to launch a new joint EC-ESA Earth system science initiative in 2020.

Recently ESA and EC (DG-RTD) has signed a collaboration agreement to joint forces and establishing an effective alignment of selected scientific activities under EC’s Horizon Europe and ESA’s new FutureEO programmes in terms of goals, content, and planning to jointly advance Earth system science and its contribution to respond to the global challenges that society is facing in the onset of this century.

With this initiative ESA and EC aims at opening new opportunities for the scientific community to capitalise on the latest advances in Earth Observation and expand our basic understanding of our planet, its processes and interactions with human activities, promoting science as an additional resource to meet pressing societal needs; In 2020 an initial set of coordinated actions will be run through ESA and EC already planned activities. Initial priorities will focus on polar regions, ocean health, biodiversity, sea level and coastal hazards and climatic extremes to support the climate transition and the EU Green Deal.

Share:
Convener: Diego Fernández Prieto | Co-conveners: Gilles Ollier, Anica Huck
TM12

While Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) remote sensing with its weather independence and day-and-night capabilities has long been identified as a useful data set for many science disciplines, it is only due to a number of recent developments that SAR has also become an attractive resource for practitioners and decision-makers in areas such as disaster management, agricultural monitoring, water resource management, and ecosystem sustainability.

New sensors such as Sentinel-1 and the upcoming NASA-ISRO SAR mission (NISAR) are or will provide free and open access to global SAR data with frequent revisit rates. New software and processing algorithms are providing value-added products that come fully geocoded and in easy to read data formats. All of these changes have led to increased demand for SAR data and to a vast diversification of the SAR user community. They have also resulted in a pressing need for a more diverse library of training resources, webinars, and curricula. This is particularly true for the applications and decision-making communities, whose information needs are not well met by currently available training materials.

Building on these identified needs, this town hall follows up on the recent AGU TownHall (https://www.agu.org/Fall-Meeting/Events/Data-TH43K) and seeks to solicit open discussion on key topics:
* Is more capacity needed in processing raw SAR data vs. starting with “Analysis Ready Data” products?
* Is there really a difference between SNAP vs. GAMMA processing?
* What type of computing infrastructure is necessary? (Local development vs. HPC vs. Cloud)
* Is the current set of available learning resources sufficient, and if not what changes are needed?
* What is preventing the remote sensing community from using SAR for operational applications? What are more pressing limitations, data or processing capabilities?

A diverse panel of experts representing four important components of capacity building (1 research; 2 - infrastructure; 3 - end user applications; 4 - curriculum development) will guide a town hall conversation about topics/needs raised by audience participants. The goal of this town hall is to identify the next steps necessary for the increased applied use of SAR. Input collected from this town hall will inform future capacity-building efforts in this important and rapidly growing earth observation field.

Share:
Convener: Tyler Erickson | Co-conveners: Andrea Nicolau, David Saah
TM13

EPOS, the European Plate Observing System, is a unique e-infrastructure and collaborative environment for the solid earth science community in Europe and beyond. EPOS became an ESFRI Landmark and European Research Infrastructure Consortium (ERIC) in 2018, and notably integrates a wide range of world-class experimental (analogue modelling and rock and melt physics) and analytical (paleomagnetic, geochemistry, and microscopy) laboratory infrastructures under the Thematic Core Service (TCS) Multi-scale Laboratories (MSL). Research data is shared using the FAIR data principles, and associated facilities are connected within a global network that enables researchers to create new opportunities for synergy, collaboration, and scientific innovation.

StraboSpot, a North American EarthCube-based group (NSF EAR and EarthCube program), is building a digital data system (acquisition and database) for deformed rocks. It aims to encapsulate the large spatial variation and complex geometries of naturally deformed rocks and make it available for establishing standardized and digital Structural Geology and Tectonics data collection. New efforts are underway to incorporate experimental deformation data in the data system, in order to increase the availability and usability of the results of rock deformation experiments.
This Town Hall Meeting will provide updates on community activities and progress, initiated in the 2018 AGU Fall Meeting, regarding the vocabulary and data standards jointly developed between EPOS TCS Multi-scale Laboratories and StraboSpot. We particularly seek community feedback and discussions on the linkages between the two projects to remove barriers and facilitate cross-communication and interoperability of the data.

Share:
Convener: Richard WesselsECSECS | Co-convener: Audrey Ougier-Simonin

SMP – Splinter meetings (public)

SMP1

Since more than 4 years a group of geoscientists aim to establish an international research network related to the topic "Mountain Glaciations". After encouraging first attempts (despite some contradictory feedback) we have worked on an improved new application for a COST Action to create such a network. The current coordinators of this application want to utilise the opportunity that many involved or potentially interested colleagues will gather at the EGU General Assembly to discuss possible future directions. This splinter meeting should also make this initiative more public to those not already aware of it.

Share:
Convener: Stefan Winkler
SMP2

Flow and transport modeling in complex karstic systems can be a demanding challenge. Various modeling approaches have been proposed during the last decades, ranging from black-box lumped to physically-based distributed models. Given this broad variety of tools, which can address a wide range of questions related to flow- and transport processes in karst aquifers, it can be challenging to find appropriate modeling approaches for a given objective. For this reason, several (early career) karst modelers expressed their interest in forming a joint working group. The proposed group aims to provide a platform for young karst scientists to address questions related to existing model tools, talk about their strengths and weaknesses and discuss specific modeling tasks with more experienced modelers. Moreover, this collaborative group seeks to discuss open research questions and future directions in karst modeling. Therefore, we encourage early career modelers dealing with questions related to karst systems to join our initiative during the EGU conference 2020.

Share:
Convener: Daniel Bittner | Co-conveners: Markus Giese, Andreas HartmannECSECS, Thomas Reimann
SMP3

This is an open meeting organised by EGU Committee on Education to allow attendees at the General Assembly to contribute to the discussion about how best EGU can support HE geosciences education

Share:
Convener: Gordon Curry
SMP4

TEAMx (Multi-scale transport and exchange processes in the atmosphere over mountains – Programme and experiment; http://www.teamx-programme.org/) is an international research programme that aims at improving the scientific understanding of the meteorological processes that control the exchange of momentum, heat and mass (water, CO2) between the Earth’s surface and the atmosphere in mountainous regions. These processes include for instance surface-layer turbulence, mountain venting, orographic convection, mountain waves.

The First TEAMx Workshop took place in August 2019 and attracted 92 scientists from 11 nations. During the workshop, the scientific basis for TEAMx was collectively reviewed. A synthesis will be provided in the soon-to-be-published white paper of the research programme. The two pillars of TEAMx are (i) a field campaign with large-scale deployment of micrometeorological instrumentation, ground-based profiling instruments and airborne sensors planned for 2023-2024 in the European Alps, and (ii) coordinated model evaluation, combining a hierarchy of tools from large-eddy-simulation to regional models to improve exchange parameterizations (land-atmosphere, turbulence, convection, gravity wave drag) across modelling grey zones.

The research community that initiated TEAMx works at the intersection between micrometeorology, mountain meteorology / climatology and air quality in mountain regions, but seeks to establish connections with neighbouring disciplines. The requested splinter meeting aims at introducing TEAMx to a cross-disciplinary audience. Related fields of research include, but are not limited to, the following: (i) Mountain hydrology and snowpack modelling; (ii) Mountain ecosystem research and carbon budgeting; (iii) Energy meteorology, harvesting of wind and solar energy over mountains; (iv) Climate change impact modelling, statistical and physically-based downscaling in complex terrain; (v) Urban air pollution and air chemistry in complex orography; (vi) Health-related impact modeling (such as heat or cold waves, etc).

Share:
Convener: Stefano Serafin
SMP5

This splinter meeting aims at discussing the ESA EE10 candidate mission Daedalus. We will give an overview of the Daedalus science questions along with the mission and instrument specifics. The session is suitable for the atmospheric, ionospheric, magnetospheric, and instrumentation communities.

Share:
Convener: Minna Palmroth
SMP6

Extension of the first Daedalus splinter session to further facilitate discussions by bringing some of the instrument specialists in for discussions as well.

Share:
Convener: Minna Palmroth
SMP7

During this splinter meeting we will present an update on the status of the Multi-scale Laboratories community, which is part of the European Plate Observing System (EPOS). Anyone interested in publishing their laboratory-based research data through the EPOS platform, participating in our Trans-national Access (TNA) program, or becoming involved in EPOS in general, is kindly invited to attend.

Share:
Convener: Richard WesselsECSECS
SMP8

This scope is to (1) present the status of IODP proposal 909, (2) present new results related to past Greenland Ice Sheet dynamics, and (3) to discuss new scientific advances and other issues that are of relevance to the drilling proposal. The meeting is aimed at proponents and others who may be interested.

Share:
Convener: Paul Knutz
SMP9

Joint meeting of the COST-Action AGITHAR “Accelerating Global science In Tsunami HAzard and Risk analysis”, the EPOS candidate Thematic Core Service (TCS) initiative on “Tsunami Data and Products” and the Global Tsunami Model (GTM).

All activities will report on their latest developments and seek for further synergies.

Share:
Convener: Alexander Rudloff | Co-conveners: Joern Behrens, Finn Løvholt
SMP10

The E-OBS observational dataset is used in many climate science studies and outside the field of climatology. In this splinter meeting the group responsible for collecting the meteorological station data, developing and producing the E-OBS dataset would like to provide an opportunity in which users are informed of future developments and have a platform to interact with users for feed back and questions.

Share:
Convener: Gerard van der Schrier
SMP11

Meeting of the IACS Working Group on Regional Assessments of Glacier Mass Change (RAGMAC)

Share:
Convener: Michael Zemp
SMP12

This splinter session will provide insights from the latest achievements in PRIMAVERA, a European Union's Horizon 2020-funded project aimed at exploring the benefits of high resolution climate modelling.

PRIMAVERA provides state-of-the-art climate model simulations at high resolution (~25km), some of which contributed to the latest set of climate models which will inform the next IPCC Assessment Report. By better resolving the underlying physical processes, we expect these models to provide better simulations of certain climate processes, such as windstorms, flooding, heatwaves or atmospheric blocking.

To test these new high-resolution global climate models and evaluate the value added by their outputs, PRIMAVERA engages with different stakeholders. The project has been in touch with stakeholders using communication channels such as a specially designed User Interface Platform, Data Viewer, factsheets and story maps and involved them through webinars and meetings. That said, PRIMAVERA goes beyond information dissemination and promotes knowledge coproduction between “champion” users and project scientists. The knowledge coproduction with champion users is achieved through tailored one-to-one collaborations.

As the project is in its final stage, at this session we will share with the audience the scientific highlights of the project and tell what we have learnt during this four-years exercise. We will invite the project stakeholders and users, who have steadily provided feedback throughout the project and helped shape the result into useful and practical products. Some of our “champion” users will share their experience from collaboration with PRIMAVERA scientists on climate knowledge coproduction.

After a short introduction to the project and a few presentations from the key project scientists and users, the splinter session will open a dialogue where we can review the potential added value provided by high resolution climate modelling, share our experience, acknowledge the challenges and consider together how the PRIMAVERA project could better support European climate risk assessment activities.

Are you interested in extreme weather and climate? Come along if you want to find out more about the project and how climate information based on higher-resolution models could benefit your purpose.

Share:
Convener: Dragana Bojovic | Co-convener: Bernd Eggen
SMP13

This meeting will be dedicated to the presentation and discussion of the latest progress and the remaining challenges with regard to the development of the multi-functional open source GIS simulation model for granular avalanches, debris flows, and cascading landslide processes (r.avaflow). We will particularly focus on the implementation of a three-phase flow model, on the development of strategies facilitating predictive simulations, and on the presentation and discussion of new case studies. Everybody interested in the field of mass flow simulation is cordially invited to the meeting.

Share:
Convener: Martin Mergili
SMP14

Meeting of all ArcTrain members, including collaborators, friends and alumni

Share:
Convener: Jade Falardeau | Co-conveners: Michal Kucera, Anne de Vernal
SMP15

This is a review of the activities surrounding automation of credit for data (and software) to include work being done by the PARSEC project (Belmont Forum, 6 countries), ESIP Data Citation and Software and Services Citation Guidance, and FORCE11 Software Implementation Group.

The PARSEC project is an international team of scientists and informatics experts addressing challenges with Data Sharing and Credit and develop leading practices in active collaboration with science-driven use cases across six countries. Part of the grant builds on the work of the Enabling FAIR Data project as well as work by RDA’s Sharing Rewards and Credit (SHARC) Interest Group (IG), Data Usage Metrics IG, and Scholix IG.

ESIP Guidance:

Data Citation:
ESIP Data Preservation and Stewardship Committee (2019): Data Citation Guidelines for Earth Science Data, Version 2. ESIP. Online resource. https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.8441816.v1

Software and Services Citation:
ESIP Software and Services Citation Cluster. (2019). Software and Services Citation Guidelines and Examples. Ver. 1. ESIP. https://doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.7640426

FORCE11 Software Implementation Group has recently published two useful guidelines:

For Authors:
Chue Hong, Neil P., Allen, Alice, Gonzalez-Beltran, Alejandra, de Waard, Anita, Smith, Arfon M., Robinson, Carly, … Pollard, Tom. (2019, October 15). Software Citation Checklist for Authors (Version 0.9.0). Zenodo. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3479198

For Developers:
Chue Hong, Neil P., Allen, Alice, Gonzalez-Beltran, de Waard, Anita, Smith, Arfon M., Robinson, Carly, … Pollard, Tom. (2019, October 15). Software Citation Checklist for Developers (Version 0.9.0). Zenodo. http://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3482769

Share:
Convener: Shelley Stall
SMP16

The Open Source Geospatial Foundation, or OSGeo, is a not-for-profit umbrella organization for Free and Open Source geospatial tools, including QGIS, gvSIG, GRASS GIS, Geoserver and many others. OSGeo is hosting this Lunchbag event to inform about the latest developments within and to support the collaborative development of open source geospatial software by promoting sustainable Open Science within EGU, especially for Early Career Scientists.

Share:
Convener: Peter Löwe | Co-convener: Massimiliano Cannata
SMP17

ISMIP6 meet up with participants

The Ice Sheet Model Intercomparison Project for CMIP6 (ISMIP6) brings together a consortium of international ice sheet models and coupled ice sheet-climate models to fully explore the sea level rise contribution from the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets.
http://www.climate-cryosphere.org/activities/targeted/ismip6

Share:
Convener: Heiko Goelzer
SMP18

The major goal of this working group is to improve understanding of the link between L-band satellite (SMOS, SMAP and Aquarius) remotely sensed salinity (1cm depth, 50-150km resolution), and in situ measured salinity and to develop practical methodologies for relating various estimates of sea surface salinity (SSS). During this splinter, we will discuss SSS horizontal and vertical variability within satellite pixels and between 1cm and a few meters depths as derived from recent in situ measurement campaigns and models, as well as their consequences for satellite SSS validation. We will also take this opportunity to prepare what could be presented during the 2020 Ocean Salinity Science conference foreseen in Fall 2020 in the US. Please contact J. Boutin (jb@locean-ipsl.upmc.fr) and Nadya Vinogradova(nadya@nasa.gov) if you'd like to participate to this splinter.

Share:
Convener: Jacqueline Boutin | Co-convener: Nadya Vinogradova
SMP19

COPDESS (Coalition for Publishing Data in the Earth & Space Sciences) connects Earth and space science publishers and data facilities to help translate the aspirations of open, available, and useful data from policy into practice. This meeting offers a forum for all stakeholders to discuss issues around the implementation of common data policies, workflows, and standards for journals, repositories & researchers.

Share:
Convener: Kerstin Lehnert
SMP20

NextGEOSS offers a plethora of services to the geosciences community. In this session the data hub and platform will be introduced. That includes the new services such as cloud bursting, the OpenSearch API for Earth observations and more. Hands-on training will also be given.

Share:
Convener: Bente Bye
SMP21

Physical samples play a central role in a wide diversity of earth, environmental, and planetary sciences. This Splinter Meeting invites researchers, data and sample curators, publishers, funders, and representatives of research infrastructures to learn about the IGSN Global Sample Number and how it can increase sample visibility, use and tracking; support sample management; and dramatically advance the value of physical samples to science and society. The IGSN links digital data and publications to the physical objects thus enabling to demonstrate the value and impact of samples for generating new knowledge.

Share:
Convener: Kerstin Lehnert
SMP22

Splinter meeting for the IAG-IASPEI sub-commission Seismogeodesy

Share:
Convener: Jean-Mathieu Nocquet
SMP23

Business meeting of the Global Geodetic Observing System (GGOS) Committee on Essential Geodetic Variables to plan future activities.

Share:
Convener: Richard Gross
SMP24

A splinter meeting for the users of Open Source Finite Element Software for Ice Sheet, Glaciers and Ice Flow Model Elmer/Ice.

Share:
Convener: Olivier Gagliardini
SMP25

The aim of this splinter meeting is to develop new activities and future perspectives for modeling soil systems. Contributions are welcome with a short announcement ahead of the meeting. The meeting is centered around an open and engaging dialog among the attendees and will be initiated by the report on last year activities of the International Soil Modeling Consortium (https://soil-modeling.org/ ISMC).

Share:
Convener: Roland BaatzECSECS
SMP26

Meeting EURO-FRIEND Water project groups (Flow Regimes from International Experimental Network Data, FRIEND).

Share:
Convener: Michael Stoelzle
SMP27

The meeting is meant to discuss coordination issues and results of the GEO-Geohazard Supersites and Natural Laboratories initiative and Supersite network. Supersite coordinators will attend and present their achievements for the past year. There will be a presentation by the initiative Chair and possibly other ones by scientist submitting future Supersite proposal. The meeting is open to everybody.

Share:
Convener: Stefano Salvi
SMP28

The World Atlas of Last Interglacial Shorelines (WALIS) database is an online platform for the documentation and standardization of last interglacial relative sea-level indicators, descriptions and constraining geochronology. Meta data includes, but is not limited to, indicator type, elevation, measurement technique, and sea-level datum, as well as opportunity to document U-series, luminescence, amino acid racemization, electron-spin resononce, and chronostratigraphy geochronological method approaches.
The WALIS databse was launched last year and the splinter meeting will serve as a tutorial allowing new users to ask questions on how to use the database. Attendees are encouraged to bring published data to use as a working example.

Share:
Convener: Deirdre RyanECSECS | Co-convener: Alessio Rovere
SMP29

Open session opportunity to discuss progress on the European Groundwater Drought Initiative and for individual contributions on latest work related to all aspects of groundwater drought.

Share:
Convener: John Bloomfield | Co-convener: Bentje Brauns
SMP30

According to UNFCCC statistics, in 2015 Romania was the country in the European Union that reported the highest emissions of CH4 from the oil and gas sector to the atmosphere, in particular related to methane production and end use. Limiting these oil and gas-related emissions could provide an attractive greenhouse gas emission reduction target for the EU. The ROMEO project was designed to provide experimental quantification of methane emissions from the oil and gas sector in Romania and is part of the international Climate and Clean Air Coalition's (CCAC's) Methane Science Studies. The main ROMEO campaign took place in October 2019. Eight ground measurement teams visited more than 1000 individual facilities, whereas about 200 quantifications were attempted. The teams performed methane measurements by stationary and mobile measurements from vehicles, using tracer release approaches and by plume mapping from drones. An optical gas imaging team visited many facilities in order to inv estigate the origin of the emissions at the component scale. To connect the facility scale to the regional scale, two research aircraft performed more than 20 research flights to identify and quantify methane emissions from individual facilities, facility clusters and extended regions. Ground-based in situ and total column measurements provide additional information on the background levels of CH4. Various models are used for emission quantification, from plume dispersion and mass balance models for individual facilities to atmospheric chemistry and transport models for interpretation of the larger scale aircraft measurements. The final goal of ROMEO is to provide a combined bottom-up and top-down approach to quantify CH4 emissions related to oil and gas exploration, natural gas distribution and gas use from Romania. During the splinter meeting we will present the overall setup of the ROMEO project, interesting examples from individual facilities and preliminary results from ground and airborne measurements.

Share:
Convener: Sylvia Walter | Co-convener: Thomas Röckmann
SMP31

The IAHS Panta Rhei Drought in the Anthropocene Working Group (https://iahs.info/Commissions--W-Groups/Working-Groups/Panta-Rhei/Working-Groups/Drought-in-the-Anthropocene.do) will meet at EGU to discuss progress and future plans.

Share:
Convener: Anne Van Loon
SMP32

In this meeting, we invite all researchers working in and on topics relevant for mountain areas - and who would like to expand their networks and connect to other researchers working on similar topics - to learn more about what the Mountain Research Initiative (MRI) can offer to facilitate this connection.

The MRI is an international research coordination network that promotes global change research in and on mountains, across disciplines and borders. The MRI is supported by the Swiss Academies of Sciences, and is hosted at the University of Bern, in Switzerland, and currently has over 11,000 researchers registered in the MRI Experts Database from across the world.

The MRI has a number of flagship and community-led activities that offer opportunities for connection and collaboration, and we specially welcome the inputs and exchange with Early Career Researchers (ECRs) to learn more about ideas for research support and career development priorities.

The meeting will also be an opportunity to update on current activities, and how interested researches can participate.

See more at:
http://www.mountainresearchinitiative.org/

Share:
Convener: Carolina Adler
SMP33

Segregation or grain sorting is undoubtedly an important issue in sediment transport. It modifies drastically fluxes and is responsible for virtually all morphological patterns.
A better insight is sought through modelling at the particle scale and upscaling into continuum models to address larger scales.
This meeting is about discussing latest advances in the framework of the ANR SegSed project. It is open to everybody.

Share:
Convener: Philippe Frey | Co-conveners: julien chauchat, Alexandre Valance
SMP34

During the EGU General Assembly the newest version of the University of Victoria Earth System Climate Model is going to be presented.
As several users of this modelling tool will be present, this is a very good opportunity to coordinate and discuss the next steps, future projects, new challenges that came up during development and the general direction in which this modelling community wants to take this tool.

Share:
Convener: Nadine Mengis
SMP36

As part of the Copernicus Climate Change Service (C3S), we deliver past and future climate indicators that are relevant for the biodiversity sector worldwide. These indicators are available up to 1 km resolution, based on ERA5, CMIP5 and downscaling techniques. The data will be available through the Climate Data Store of C3S and can be generated and visualised by the Toolbox from C3S. Soon, a prototype of the service will be available. An important aspect of the service is user engagement, which is facilitated through regional workshops and other activities where requirements for the service were gathered. Our aim is to target as many potential users as possible to gather feedback for improving the service. During this splinter meeting, we would make users familiar with our data and applications on the Climate Data Store by providing hands-on exercises. Ultimately, we will gather feedback from the attendees and improve our service in order to meet better the requirements of the users active in the biodiversity sector.

Share:
Convener: Hendrik Wouters | Co-convener: Julie Berckmans
SMP37

The effects of a changing climate are manifesting rapidly, particularly in the Arctic region, and there is an increasing indication that these changes influence weather and climate in the mid-latitudes. We invite you to our splinter session where we will present the latest findings from APPLICATE, a European Union's Horizon 2020-funded project aimed at advancing our capability to predict weather and climate in the Arctic and beyond. The linkages between the Arctic and mid-latitudes are explored in APPLICATE through a coordinated multi-model approach using coupled atmosphere-ocean models. Project findings improve our understanding of changes in the Arctic and their far-reaching impacts for the benefit of both environment and communities. In addition, in this session we will show how APPLICATE contributes to the design of the future Arctic observing systems to improve our capacity to understand the climate system and enhance models’ predicting skills.

The project has been maintaining contact with different stakeholders from the Arctic and beyond, who have steadily provided feedback throughout the project and helped shape the results into useful knowledge. With the objective to continue our quest of knowledge exchange, this session will have an interactive character. After presentations from key project scientists, the splinter session will open a dialogue where we can review the potential added value provided by the latest climate research in the Arctic, share our experience, acknowledge the challenges and consider together how this new knowledge can benefit policy-makers, society and business in Europe and elsewhere.

Share:
Convener: Dragana Bojovic | Co-convener: Luisa Cristini
SMP38

The Inter-Commission Committee on Geodesy for Climate Research (ICCC) has been established by IAG in 2019. The Joint Working Group C.1 "Climate Signatures in Earth Orientation Parameters" of ICCC will focus on the detection of climatic signals in Earth orientation data, the modelling of climate-related trends in geodetic observations, and the assessment of angular momentum budgets in global Earth system models. JWG C.1 will hold its inaugural meeting during the EGU in Vienna to shape the agenda for the next four years.

Share:
Convener: Henryk Dobslaw
SMP39

The speakers at this workshop will provide an overview of open research initiatives and the transforming publishing landscape.

Share:
Convener: Hannah Qualtrough
SMP40

Recognising the importance to support the transition of scientific efforts into useful services, the Global Atmosphere Watch Programme (GAW) of the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) has started an initiative on Global Air quality Forecast and Information Systems (GAFIS). GAFIS aims to become a network for the development of good practices for air quality forecasting and monitoring services using diverse approaches. GAFIS will closely interact with existing GAW efforts on air pollution forecasting and dust storm prediction, and it intends to build strong links with the international health community. As a major first step, GAFIS will carry out and maintain a survey of AQ information systems and identify areas and regions with a lack of adequate AQ services. GAFIS aims to improve access to air quality observations and to encourage better quality control and meta-data provision. GAFIS will initiate coordinated evaluation activities of air quality services using a harmonized eval uation protocol. Finally, promoting operational applications of atmospheric composition feedbacks in Numerical Weather Prediction is a further objective of GAFIS.

Share:
Convener: Alexander Baklanov
SMP41

The Global Seismology Community is fortunate to have a large number of land-based broadband seismic stations distributed around the globe. In light of evolving fundamental research and monitoring requirements, and continuing advances in instrumentation and other technologies, it is beneficial to periodically review the capabilities of these networks of seismic stations, and verify that these networks are serving their user communities. Pursuing new directions, or just maintaining existing stations in flat and declining budgets may also require more cooperation among the major global networks to achieve the desired global coverage of high quality, broad-band seismic stations/networks.

We invite you to participate in discussions about such topics as:

1) What are the scientific directions/missions that should guide future directions in global seismic networks?

2) What are the future plans for the global networks?

2) What additional measurements (if any) would help to expand the usage of the seismic data?

3) Are there locations where additional stations would be useful?

4) Are there locations where we are duplicating efforts?

Share:
Convener: Katrin Hafner | Co-conveners: Martin Vallée, Angelo Strollo, Carlo Cauzzi, Florian Haslinger
SMP42

During this short workshop and demonstration we will explain what the Earth System Grid Federation (ESGF) is and what it does to make climate data available for research. A short demonstration will be given on how to access climate data available through the ESGF.

This workshop is organized by the IS-ENES3 project, the European part of ESGF, that works on enhancing and improving current climate research infrastructure.

Share:
Convener: Janette Bessembinder | Co-conveners: Maria Moreno de Castro, Christian Pagé
SMP43

The ESA Fire_cci project aims to provide improved satellite burned area products that are specifically tailored to the needs of the wider climate research community.
This workshop aims at collecting user requirements from active and potential users of burned area products. We first provide an overview of currently available global burned area products, areas of product usage, and product strengths and weaknesses. Particular focus is put on products that have recently been released by the Fire_cci project.
In the subsequent interactive discussion, we invite participants to provide recommendations for future burned area product developments.

Share:
Convener: Angelika Heil
SMP44

We will perform a demonstration of online S3view and OVL portals (ovl.oceandatalab.com) showing examples of synergy beween satellite observation, model and in-situ data.

Future evolution of this tool will be driven by your feedback. Enjoy exploring amazing EO data with OVL-NG.

Share:
Convener: Lucile Gaultier
SMP45

Envisioned as one solution to data challenges of the International Polar Year (2007-2008), the Copernicus data journal Earth System Science Data (ESSD) has developed into a useful rewarding data-sharing option for an unprecedented array of researchers. ESSD has published peer-reviewed descriptions of more than 500 easily- and freely-accessible data products, from more than 4000 data providers archiving their products at more than 100 data centres.

How does ESSD differ from research journals? How do I prepare my data for publication? What does ESSD expect for descriptions, licenses and general data availability? What types of data products qualify? How do I find an appropriate data repository? We invite researchers to a lively informative splinter meeting to learn and discuss best practices for data journals and data providers.

Share:
Convener: Kirsten Elger | Co-conveners: David Carlson, Johannes Wagner
SMP46

A splinter meeting for members of, and those interested in, the PAGES working group Climate Variability Across Scales (http://pastglobalchanges.org/science/wg/cvas/intro) to discuss progress and plans.

Share:
Convener: Kira Rehfeld
SMP47

This meeting is to coordinate the production of large-sample hydrological (LSH) data sets worldwide. Following the 2018 and 2019 editions, this meeting will discuss progress and ongoing challenges.

We would like to bring together data providers, creators and users of LSH datasets to develop collaborations and to discuss concrete issues. The goal is to facilitate the production, use and maintenance of LSH data sets across the globe. The organisers will report progress made over the last 12 months and participants will have the chance to share updates with the community.

This meeting is organised as part of the Panta Rhei working group on Large Sample Hydrology and in conjunction with session HS2.5.2 'Large-sample hydrology: characterising and understanding hydrological diversity'.

Share:
Convener: Nans Addor
SMP48

Meeting/ discussion among PEEX (Pan-Eurasian Experiment) partners and collaborators on current and further research and development tasks and activities of the Observational, Modelling, Impact on Society and Educational platforms; science overview

Share:
Convener: Alexander Mahura
SMP49

We will perform a demonstration of stand alone SEAScope application (seascope.oceandatalab.com).
In this meeting we will share how to visulize EO data with SEAScope but also how can you extract data into a Jupyter python notebook and import your results back into the interface.

Future evolution of this tool will be driven by your feedback. Enjoy exploring amazing EO data with SEAScope.

Share:
Convener: Lucile Gaultier
SMP50

We intend to group together all the researchers who proved their interest for our interdisciplinary session GD 7.2 but who sent abstracts to a more specialized one. Our final aim is to discuss/launch an international program on the NE-Atlantic including both solid earth geodynamics and oceanography.

Share:
Convener: Laurent Geoffroy
SMP51

Open meeting for persons being interested in the activities of GLIMS and the IACS WG on the RGI.

Share:
Convener: Frank Paul
SMP52

The IEEE Standard Board has approved the P4005 WG on establishing a standard and protocol for soil spectral measurements. This is an important step that should have been taken years ago and now came true. As in EGU the soil spectral/ soil digital and soil remote sensing communities will attend - we would like to perform the kick-of-meeting during the EGU event and start an important discussion toward the establishment of an ISO certified document for the benefit of many users global wide.

Share:
Convener: Eyal Ben Dor
SMP53

The meeting aims at reviewing the basic concepts behind Naturally Occurring Asbestos (NOA), including the sampling procedures, to achieve reliable evaluation of NOA content in geo-environmental settings. Many issues are still unsolved in several steps of the “NOA evaluation task” (from sampling rocks on the field to the sample preparation techniques, from analytical observation and determination to hazard assessment) that require knowledge sharing from different working groups. The expertise gained in several case studies in Europe and US will be compared in order to focus on the most critical issues and to plan joined activities towards the definition of common best practices.

Share:
Convener: Fabrizio Piana | Co-convener: Francesco Turci

SMI – Splinter meetings (by invitation only)

SMI1

This is the first formal planning and strategy meeting of the representatives (steering committee and core members) of the newly approved Geomorphology Groups/Networks (IAG National Scientific Members) IAG GeoNor and IAG GeoNorth (see further information at http://www.geomorph.org/national-scientific-members/).

Achim A. Beylich
President of IAG GeoNor and Coordinator of IAG GeoNorth

Share:
Convener: Achim A. Beylich
SMI2

The Executive Committee (ExeCom; https://www.orfeus-eu.org/organization/structure/) is the executive body of the ORFEUS Foundation. The ORFEUS ExeCom meets regularly and, if possible, contextually to scientific and technical meetings attended by most of its members.

Share:
Convener: Carlo Cauzzi
SMI3

The Board of Participants for ORFEUS (BoP) consists of the participant representatives. The Board of Participants (BoP) meets to brings issue regarding data and services improvements to the attention of the Secretary General.

Share:
Convener: Carlo Cauzzi
SMI4

This is a Splinter for the H2020 project TiPES (Tipping points in the Earth System)

Share:
Convener: Peter Ditlevsen
SMI5

This is a 3 hour meeting organised by the Committee on Education (and funded by Council) to consider how EGU can support Geoscience education in Higher Education

Share:
Convener: Gordon Curry
SMI6

ORFEUS, EMSC and EFEHR are promoting best practices for cross-boundary ShakeMap harmonisation in Europe, in collaboration with the ShakeMap operators and stakeholders. With this short meeting, we would like to update the ShakeMap community at EGU about the current status of the activities and the networking and research plans for the future.

Share:
Convener: Carlo Cauzzi
SMI7

During EGU 2020 the members of the EPOS TCS Multiscale Laboratories Consortium Board (CB) will have the chance to meet in person and discuss past, ongoing and future TCS activities. The CB will receive an update from the executive board and requests for decision making.

Public information:
Consortium Board meeting of the EPOS Thematic Core Service Multiscale Laboratories.

Share:
Convener: Matthias Rosenau | Co-conveners: Jose-Luis Fernandez-Turiel, Francesca Funiciello, Richard WesselsECSECS, Ernst Willingshofer
SMI8

As the Panta Rhei initiative enters its 4th biennium we need to remind ourselves that a scientific decade on change in hydrology and society requires the perspectives of those disciplines that have traditionally been concerned with society, the social and policy sciences, as well as of society itself. While interdisciplinary conversations have been happening to some extent, transdisciplinary endeavours remain largely undocumented. The aim of this meeting is to discuss the next steps of the Panta Rhei Working Group Transdisciplinarity.

Share:
Convener: Thomas ThalerECSECS
SMI9

Gathering of the members of the LAMACLIMA consortium: updates on project developments.

Share:
Convener: Quentin Lejeune
SMI10

This splinter meeting will gather expertise and interest in Emergent Risks and Extreme Events - Reducing Disasters Risks under Environmental Change. It is organized by and contributing to the respective Risk Knowledge Action Network (Risk KAN). Future collaboration plans and joint activities, particularly in the working groups will be discussed. The Risk KAN provides an open platform for scientific communities from across science disciplines and engineering working on extreme events, disaster risk reduction and governance to exchange information, knowledge and data and engage in collaborative research activities, as a joint initiative of the Future Earth, IRDR and WCRP programs.

Share:
Convener: Markus Reichstein
SMI11

The first editorial board meeting 2020 of Quaternary Science Journal (EGQSJ) will be held at the EGU meeting in Vienna. EGQSJ is an interdisciplinary open-access journal published by the German Quaternary Association (DEUQUA e.V.) since 1951, and it is one of the longest-running journals related to Quaternary research. It was successfully relaunched in 2018 at Copernicus Publications. EGQSJ publishes peer-reviewed articles and express reports, as well as thesis abstracts related to Quaternary geology, paleo-environments, paleo-ecology, soil science, paleo-climatology, geomorphology, geochronology, archaeology, and geoarchaeology.

Share:
Convener: Christopher Lüthgens | Co-conveners: Daniela Sauer, Michael Zech
SMI12

Annual Bureau and Business Meeting of the International Lithosphere Program (ILP) - Task Forces, Coordinating Committees and Friends

Share:
Convener: Alexander Rudloff | Co-convener: Magdalena Scheck-Wenderoth
SMI13

Alongside the 2020 EGU meeting the joint Working Group/Commission of the International Association of Geomorphologists and the International Geographical Union on "Geomorphology and Society" will take place.
During this meeting, planned activities and possible participation in research calls will be discussed.

Share:
Convener: Sven Fuchs | Co-conveners: Margreth Keiler, Sanja Faivre
SMI14

Meeting of the Executive Board members of the Global Terrestrial Network for Glaciers (GTN-G)

Share:
Convener: Michael Zemp
SMI15

All Alpine bordering countries contributing to gravity data and/or gravity data processing techniques to a recompilation of the alpine gravity field form the AlpArray Gravity Research Group (AAGRG). The AAGRG governs the collaboration with other groups in AlpArray. This new Bouguer anomaly will be station completed and compiled according to the most modern criteria. All topographic corrections will be calculated as mass corrections (MC) between the physical surface and the ellipsoidal reference. The group will discuss the final publication of the new gravity database and its availability and storage.

Share:
Convener: Hans-Jürgen Götze | Co-convener: György Hetényi
SMI16

Splinter meeting for partners of the Norwegian Research Council funded project "Middle Atmosphere Dynamics: Exploiting Infrasound Using a Multidisciplinary Approach at High Latitudes" (MADEIRA)

Share:
Convener: Sven Peter Näsholm
SMI17

We invite scientists and students dealing with anisotropy of the crust and upper mantle in the broader Alpine region with the use of the AlpArray data and different techniques to particpate in the 3rd meeting of the AASA research group. The goal of the meeting is to upgrade mutual knowledge of current results achieved by different members of the AlpArray working group, particularly among the PhD students and young colleagues. We expect a short presentations about the progress of individual groups and results from shear-wave splitting evaluation by different methods tested upon selected earthquakes.

Share:
Convener: Jaroslava Plomerova | Co-conveners: Götz Bokelmann, Ludek Vecsey
SMI18

Annual meeting of European Partnerships in Ice Core Sciences

Share:
Convener: Eric Wolff
SMI19

This is a final meeting of a project financed by the Belgian Science Policy. The project aims at testing the potential of air- and UAV- borne spectral sensors to produce parameters for explaining yield variations through input of up-to-date and high resolution soil variables with a perspective to improve yield prediction and optimization. The EGU is a unique opportunity to invite foreign scientists of the steering committee.

Share:
Convener: Bas van Wesemael
SMI20

ISMASS is a SCAR/CliC/IASC expert group.

Share:
Convener: Catherine Ritz
SMI21

The purpose of this splinter meeting is to establishing a dialog across the communities which measure surface solar and longwave radiation over land and sea.  Objectives of the effort to be established, as a foreseen joint action of Atmospheric Observation Panel for Climate (AOPC) and Ocean Observation Panel for Climate (OOPC) of the GCOS, would include i) to share knowledge and experience on operational procedures for in-situ observations, ii) document the calibration methods and traceability, and iii) assess the uncertainties to be associated with the different approaches.
It is believed that, establishing a coordinated dialog endorsed by GCOS, will reduce the gaps between the two community and mutually increase their performances. The initiative will also support a harmonized evaluation of the global earth surface energy balance, providing better benchmarks for remote sensing product and model validation.

Share:
Convener: Christian Lanconelli | Co-convener: Robert Weller
SMI22

Reception/networking to thank GSL volunteers and Fellows.

Share:
Convener: Maggie Simmons
SMI23

Meeting of the European Project (ERA4CS) MEDSCOPE. We want to exploit the presence of numerous partner of the MEDSCOPE project that attend the conference (presenting the results of the project) to meet and discuss various issues related to the project results and their dissemination.

Share:
Convener: Silvio Gualdi
SMI24

Work package meetings

Share:
Convener: Kristin Vogfjord
SMI25

Scientific meeting with the Co-Investigators for the MPO-MAG instrument on board the BepiColombo Mission to Mercury. We will discuss non-commercial science projects.

Share:
Convener: Daniel Heyner
SMI26

The purpose is to discuss the implementation of benchmarking problems specified in Schnepf er al. (2019).

Share:
Convener: Andrea Schnepf
SMI27

This meeting will bring together the members of the joint working group on "Regional Sea level and vertical land motion" which is formed within the ICCC, in order to discuss contributions and establish a timeline for the upcoming years.

Share:
Convener: Roelof RietbroekECSECS
SMI28

This meeting will bring together Journal Editors in the field of hydrology to discuss future progress.

Share:
Convener: Günter Blöschl
SMI29

Discuss about editorial policy, review annual progress and provide suggestions for future development of the journal.

Share:
Convener: jingjing yuan
SMI30

This will convene scientists involved in the various urban measurements funded as part of the Climate and Clean Air Coalition's Methane Science Studies project focused on midstream and downstream measurements of methane emissions.

Share:
Convener: Christopher Konek
SMI31

Meeting with Editors and Associate Editors

Share:
Convener: Martyn Clark
SMI32

Project Mesosphere / Lower Thermosphere (M/LT) is designed to study the region with new techniques in both sounding rockets and remote sensing instruments. Recent theoretical and modelling developments allow for study of dynamic processes on a large range of scales – including the potential impact of small scale processes on a global scale.

The purpose of this splinter Meeting is to update participants on the project status and get inputs and feedback

Share:
Convener: Kolbjørn Blix
SMI33

Kick-off meeting of the newly established Inter-Commission Committee on "Geodesy for Climate Research" of the International Association of Geodesy to plan future activities.

Share:
Convener: Annette Eicker
SMI34

Between the launch of Solar Orbiter (Februray 2020) and the end of the Cruise Phase of BepiColombo (2018-2025) various spacecraft mission will be operating at different radial distances in the Solar wind (as close as ~ 0.28 AU from the Sun up to Earth’s magnetosphere ~ 1.02 AU) such as: NASA/Parker Solar Probe, ESA/Solar Orbiter, ESA/JAXA BepiColombo, NASA/MMS, NASA/Artemis and ESA/Cluster. In order to coordinate the multi-spacecraft measurement during the cruise phase of BepiColombo, we have formed a working group. This splinter meeting will allow the working group members to meet, present and work thoroughly on the different planned tasks, such as, defining the scientific cases, modelling tools, measurement opportunities and related instruments operations.

Share:
Convener: Lina Hadid
SMI36

The International Association of Geodesy’s (IAG) Global Geodetic Observing System (GGOS) is managed administratively by the GGOS Coordinating Office, based at the Austrian Federal Office of Metrology and Surveying. The Coordinating Office also works to identify opportunities for improved coordination and advocacy within the geodetic community, establishing the Working Group on “Digital Object Identifiers (DOIs) for Geodetic Data Sets” in 2019. This working group consists of more than 20 members affiliated with IAG Services, working to establish usage parameters and advocate for the consistent implementation of DOIs across all IAG Services and in the greater geodetic community.

Share:
Convener: Kirsten Elger
SMI37

The main purpose of the meeting is to discuss the coordination of EPOS services with a view to international cooperation and collaboration with other research infrastructures.

Share:
Convener: Massimo Cocco
SMI38

Working group under the IAHS Panta Rhei initiative, with the objective of understanding, quantifying and modelling the linkages between physical or socio-economic drivers and changes in flood risk as well as exploring adaptation pathways.

Share:
Convener: Heidi Kreibich
SMI39

Project preparation meeting with colleagues from different European countries.

Share:
Convener: Werner Gerwin
SMI40

We are a joint working group in the IAG Inter Commission Committee for Climate working on the theme of Monsoon phenomenon. We would like to hold a splinter meeting for our group, which will also be the inaugural meeting for the group.

Share:
Convener: Balaji Devaraju
SMI41

Members of the Biosphere 2 Water Atmosphere and Life Dynamics team (B2 WALD) will meet to discuss data generated during the interdisciplinary campaign that was conducted in 2019. Objectives are to share data and outline first integrative paper.

Share:
Convener: Nemiah LaddECSECS