The proper and deep education on ethical issues in geosciences has been evolving in recent times, although not as quickly and deeply as necessary. Many of the professionals dedicated to Earth Sciences have been not in touch with such new concepts and tendencies as the concept of Geoethics. Geoethics is the research and reflection on the values which underpin appropriate behaviors and practices, wherever human activities interact with the Earth system. Geoethics provides a framework from which to define ethical professional behaviors in both geosciences and engineering, and to determine how these should be put into practice for the benefit of society and environment. The Short Course goes is directed towards introducing and training geoscientists in those new concept and ideas as well as exposing the perspectives of this field.
Course Content: (generic until we know the lecturers attending EGU2021 then, adjusted):
1. From Ethics to Geoethics: definition, values, tools
2. Responsible conduct of research and professionalism
3. Tools for Confronting (geo)ethical dilemmas
4. Geoethics for society: sustainable development and responsible mining
5. Geoethics in natural hazards
6. Geoethics in geoscience communication
7. Recent developments in geoethical thinking
8. Perspectives of Geoethics
9. Geoethics’ case studies: Paleontology, Water Management, Ocean Governance, etc.
After completing this course, participants
1. Will know the basic principles of ethics and how these lead to geoethics
2. Will be aware of the dilemmas involved in making geoethical decisions
3. Will have gained some experience in taking a geoethical approach to real-world cases