SPS3Public Great Debate: 'Big Data' in Meteorology: Opportunities and Challenges
|Convener: Will Lang|
Big Data - is it real or is it hype? Interest is now growing in the meteorological world in this subject. The ever-growing amounts of information now available presents both opportunities and problems for meteorologists. 'Big Data' - huge in volume and from multiple, and often non-traditional, sources - is almost by definition 'messy'.
- So how do we ensure that the right information is used in the forecasting process?
- Can it improve our analyses and nowcasts?
- How can we be sure that forecasters and decision-makers can identify and have access to the most relevant data?
- What can we infer from the vast amount of non-meteorological data?
- And what special techniques and systems are we developing to do all of this?
Moderator: Will Lang, MetOffice
Short introductory statements will be given by invited speakers; the floor will then be open to panelists as well as the audience for questions, statements, discussions.
-- Ken Mylne, Met Office
-- Robert Mureau, Meteogroup
-- Tim Hewson, ECMWF