OPS3Ocean worlds and Icy Moons
|Convener: Alex Hayes | Co-conveners: Jean-Pierre Lebreton , Olivier Witasse , Athena Coustenis , Elizabeth Turtle , Federico Tosi|
This session will deal with icy moons in the outer solar system with potential liquid oceans underneath or, in Titan's case, on their surfaces. Focus is on the Jovian and Saturnian satellites and the future missions to explore them. This session will aim to present new and review papers on the current status of astrobiological knowledge about the worlds in the outer solar system with possible subsurface liquid water oceans. We welcome papers that will :
• Show the current understanding of the oceans in the icy moons
• Bring together our understanding from planetary exploration and Earth observations
• Bring forward future investigations needed to improve our knowledge of waterworlds from space, ground and laboratory work
• Lead to a better understanding of the emergence of life on Earth and initial conditions in the oceans
• Identify and prioritize mission concepts or payload that can make the most appropriate and useful measurements, and an analysis of our ability to interpret mission data and support further exploration.