PS2.3Lunar Science and Exploration
|Convener: B. Foing | Co-Convener: H. Hiesinger|
The EGU PS2.3 session "Lunar Science and Exploration" will address:
- Recent lunar results: geochemistry, geophysics in the context of open planetary science and exploration
- Synthesis of results from SMART-1, Kaguya, Chang-E1 and Chang-E2, Chandrayaan-1, Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter and LCROSS impactor, Artemis
- First results from GRAIL
- Goals and Status of missions under preparation:
Ladee, orbiters, Luna-Glob/Chandrayaan-2, ESMO, Google Lunar X Prize, Luna Grunt, Intl Lunar Network, ESA lander
- Precursor missions, instruments and investigations for landers, rovers, sample return, and human lunar sorties
- The future international lunar exploration programme towards a global robotic village and permanent lunar base
Lunar science and exploration are having a renaissance with new and exciting missions being developed by China, the US, Japan, India, Russia and Europe, and with the perspective of robotic and human exploration.
The session will include invited and contributed talks as well as a panel discussion and interactive posters with short oral introduction.