EGU General Assembly 2023
© Author(s) 2023. This work is distributed under
the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 License.

Study of the Local Bow Shock Environment during Magnetosheath Jet Formation: Vlasiator Results

Jonas Suni1, Minna Palmroth1,2, Markus Battarbee1, Lucile Turc1, Markku Alho1, Giulia Cozzani1, Maxime Dubart1, Urs Ganse1, Harriet George1, Evgeny Gordeev1, Maxime Grandin1, Konstantinos Horaites1, Konstantinos Papadakis1, Yann Pfau-Kempf1, Vertti Tarvus1, Fasil Tesema1, Ivan Zaitsev1, and Hongyang Zhou1
Jonas Suni et al.
  • 1University of Helsinki, Department of Physics, Helsinki, Finland
  • 2Space and Earth Observation Centre, Finnish Meteorological Institute, Helsinki, Finland

Magnetosheath jets are a class of phenomena that are usually defined as structures of enhanced dynamic pressure in the magnetosheath. The origins of some jets have been traced back to steepening ULF waves in the foreshock, but other formation mechanisms have also been described. In this study we use four 2D simulation runs of the global magnetospheric hybrid-Vlasov simulation Vlasiator to investigate the formation of magnetosheath jets at the bow shock. We use 2D views of the simulation and virtual spacecraft to investigate the plasma and magnetic field properties around and at the times and locations of jet formation. We find that of the 796 jets analysed this way, 91% appear to form in association with foreshock structures of enhanced dynamic pressure impacting the bow shock. These jets mainly form downstream of the ULF foreshock, while the remaining 9% are generally found near the ULF foreshock edges toward the flanks and have different properties from the foreshock structure-associated jets.

How to cite: Suni, J., Palmroth, M., Battarbee, M., Turc, L., Alho, M., Cozzani, G., Dubart, M., Ganse, U., George, H., Gordeev, E., Grandin, M., Horaites, K., Papadakis, K., Pfau-Kempf, Y., Tarvus, V., Tesema, F., Zaitsev, I., and Zhou, H.: Study of the Local Bow Shock Environment during Magnetosheath Jet Formation: Vlasiator Results, EGU General Assembly 2023, Vienna, Austria, 24–28 Apr 2023, EGU23-1222,, 2023.

Supplementary materials

Supplementary material file